Bergstrom Nutrition Earns Global Food Quality & Safety Registration
Vancouver, Wash., August 31, 2011 — Bergstrom Nutrition, manufacturer of the world’s only GRAS-designated MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), has earned an important registration recognizing its commitment to extraordinary quality standards: FSSC22000:2010 for food safety and quality management systems. The FSSC registration means Bergstrom Nutrition has achieved all the requirements of ISO 22000 certification as well as additional, specific prerequisite program requirements that apply only to food manufacturers.
FSSC22000:2010 registration is benchmarked by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) showing that the company has established a documented food safety management system and follows rigorous food safety and quality standards from raw materials to finished product. Registration was provided by Det Norske Veritas (DNV).
“There are many registration standards in the area of food safety but there are only a couple that are truly recognized worldwide as being adequate by the GFSI,” said Wendi Reymore, director of regulatory affairs & quality assurance for Bergstrom Nutrition. ”FSSC22000:2010 allows us to take our previous ISO registration work and apply it to a stronger registration in the eyes of our many international customers.”
Bergstrom Nutrition is unique in the supplement and functional ingredient market for its drive to achieve the highest levels of quality and safety certifications for its OptiMSM® product and manufacturing facility. Bergstrom Nutrition has previously held the ISO 9001:2008 quality management system registration and has fulfilled the requirements for GRAS-designation, as noted by the FDA’s Letter of Non-Objection.
“Our customers know we’re very dedicated to product quality, but we’re also devoted to the safety issues that surround food and beverage manufacturing. Having an internationally recognized program for product quality and traceable accountability for every shipment that leaves our production facility is important to us as well,” added Reymore.
FSSC22000:2010 requirements include among others
- Having an overall Food Safety Policy, developed by top management.
- Maintaining records of the performance of the system.
- Establishing a group of qualified individuals to make up a Food Safety Team.
- Defining communication procedures for contacts outside the company (regulatory, customers, suppliers and others).
- Evaluating and Implementing Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points (HACCP) plan
- Holding management review meetings to evaluate the performance.
- Establishing a traceability system for identification of product.
- Establishing a corrective action system and control of nonconforming product.
- Maintaining a documented procedure for handling withdrawal of product.
- Control of monitoring and measuring devices.
- Establishing and maintaining an internal audit program.
- Continually updating and improving the program.
ABOUT BERGSTROM NUTRITION
Bergstrom Nutrition produces the world’s only GRAS-designated proprietary and patented MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) from its GMP compliant, ISO 9001:2008 registered and FSSC22000:2010 certified production facility, exceeding industry standards for optimal purity and product consistency. The Vancouver, Washington-based company pioneered the use of MSM for human consumption in 1989. For information on Bergstrom Nutrition call 1.888.733.5676 or visit www.bergstromnutrition.com.